Saturday, January 31, 2015

contentment adventure


morning snow


This was the view out our back windows last weekend. So fun to wake to a magical fairyland and still have the roads be clear so I can get to the farmers' market. It's quiet over here these days. Well, on the weekends. During the week is a whole other story, but these days I really do love it all. I love the non-stop activity of my work and the way it pulls from all my different strengths and interests and sometimes pushes me right to my edge. And I love the weekends and the deep rest I plunge into with naps, reading, movies, and more naps. I read this passage yesterday in Meghan Daum's beautiful book, The Unspeakable: And Other Subjects of Discussion, and it rang so true to how I feel about my life these days. I feel so blessed.

"My goal in life is to be content. By that I don't mean 'fine' or 'basically satisfied.' I don't mean settling. I mean, for back of better terms, feeling like I'm in the right life. Contentment, for me, would mean living in a place where I felt like part of a community, doing work that feels reasonably meaningful, surrounding myself with people I enjoy, respect, and in some cases love."

Yep, all that.

And here are a couple of other things I'm loving these days:

Jim Jarmusch's gorgeous Only Lovers Left Alive. Crazy title, crazy cover, crazy Vampire Movie premise, but, man, this is my new favorite thing. I can't recommend it enough!

Also loving Tosha Silver's awesome class supporting her Outrageous Openness: Letting the Divine Take the Lead book on Simon Says. Really brings the material to life. Such a different way to live - it feels completely liberating!

I hope you're all doing well! Every day is getting longer up here in the Northern Hemisphere. That feels good, too...